Wednesday, July 7, 2021

Last Day of Employment

1974-2021

Forty-seven years of employment. Today's the last day and then I'll be on a plane to Mexico.

Sure, it feels a little nostalgic knowing this is the last day I'll earn a paycheck. (Probably.) But I firmly believe that if you can live without being beholden to employment, one absolutely should.

I fully realize how fortunate I am. Yes, I've been very frugal with my income. Minimalism and monasticism has influenced that. Purchasing a modest studio condo rather than a larger one helped. Not having kids helped a LOT. Not having a spouse or a cat simplified things even more. Being blessed with good health has been an incredibly fortunate thing. Having the capacity to earn a living wage is something many people aren't afforded.

Yes, life can be an immense struggle at times and I've had my share of them. But, as Nigella Lawson once wrote, "It's true, life can be full of affliction. But when it's not taking place, you may as well be pleased."

I am pleased.
Immensely.
The sunset years begin

2 comments:

  1. Happy retirement! It's the best part of life, in my opinion. You were wise not to be owned by a cat. They always demand THE BEST of EVERYTHING and will blow through your nest egg like nobody's business. I know MINE did, lol!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Debra is one of my blogging buddies..I put up a post about you and told everyone to go check you out..Debra likes you and will be back..I knew she would...she's one of the good ones..one of my favorite canaderians..

    ReplyDelete