Saturday, June 26, 2021

Monk

It's true, I am a monk in the Anglican Church. (Yes, there are monks and nuns in the Anglican Church rather than the Roman Catholic Church.) I prefer to say that I'm "a monastic" because when people hear the word "monk", I think they envision something from Monty Python and the Holy Grail or a Buddhist monk in Tibet. While my religious order does have habits, I seldom wear one. I would prefer not to wear one at all, for I feel it sets me apart from others. But, out of obedience, I wear one at church or when I'm with my Community. 

Now you might wonder why I don't live in a monastery. In 1969, the first "disbursed order" was founded within the Episcopal Church -- Men who live on their own but are a member of a religious order. Since then, many more disbursed orders of men and women have been founded. With the huge decline in the numbers of monks and nuns in the Church, allowing disbursed orders is the way of the future in my opinion. 

So, what makes me a monk since I don't live in a monastery? 

First, I'm obligated to pray the "Daily Office", a set of prayers, three times a day. I broadcast Morning Prayer, live, at 7:30 a.m. six days a week for my parish. You can watch it here on Facebook. (It will ask you to become a member of the page. Just ask. The moderator is very lenient -- That's me.) 

Yes, we work to serve those in need, but what makes us monks and nuns is that our main duty is praying the Daily Office. We strive to lead a contemplative life rather than an active one. We are also obligated to pray the rosary three times a week among other prayers. 

Having this obligation gives my life a center that I love. The discipline of praying three times a day (four if I include Noonday prayer) connects me with something-bigger-than-myself, The Creator, The Divine Mystery, in an incredibly profound way. 

Do I always do it faithfully? No! I'm human. Sometimes I fall asleep before praying Compline (Night Prayer). Sometimes I get lazy or I'm just in a horrible, nasty mood. I'm human.

Another thing that makes me a monastic is the vow of chastity. A lot of folks might think it's a huge sacrifice, and sometimes, yes, it can be. I'm human. But, again, it provides me with a "center". Rather than seeing it as never being able to have a romantic relationship, I view it as something that frees me to love everyone on a more profound level. Do I always accomplish that? No! Sometimes I want to verbally filet some folks, especially on social media. But I always try to empathize with them. 

Just like being partnered, married, or with children, it can be a sacrifice. Other times, euphoric. 

Do I always have a holy countenance about me? Sometimes. But there are other times when I let loose with the f-word, especially while screwing things up the kitchen. I love the f-word. Too much, sometimes.  However, living in Ajijic, known as "the town that smiles," certainly elicits the countenance I should strive for. 

I'm also very much a minimalist and get a huge rush from keeping things simple. That includes my dwelling-space. My condo in Chicago was a nice little 550 sq. ft. studio. My casita in Mexico, even smaller. For years I lived in a 10 x 12 monks' cell. A casita is a palace in comparison. 

So, when I say in my byline that I'm an Anglican monastic, I hope this clarifies some points. It will come up again. It's a big part of who I am. 

Sometimes, I give sermons, too. 
Preach!


4 comments:

  1. I have a friend, Steve, who is an Anglican monk and who wears a brown habit a la Friar Tuck. Steve and his husband, Steve, moved from 5he Chapala area to the Pacific Northwest. Is there a distinction between clerics who pledge a vow of chastity and those who don’t?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Good question. There is really no distinction between those who take a vow of chastity and those who don't within the Episcopal Church. Some orders require it, others do not. It's optional in my Order. I had already lived under a vow of chastity for years, have embraced it, so I've continued it. Thanks for asking!

      Delete
  2. the Goddess doesn't require me to pray. she does require shiny things for HER to help things along for me or family or friends. She's sorta greedy.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I have met many, MANY, monks, nuns and priests from both the RC and Anglican churches over the years in the LGBTQ+ community. I guess I should specify EX monks, nuns and priests. Although one lesbian nun I knew was still a Benedictine. They were all mainly from the Boomers (or older) generations when people more commonly went into religious life than they do now.

    ReplyDelete