Sunday, June 27, 2021

It turns out, Mexicans really don't drink tea (té). Not like we do and certainly not like the Brits. 

Every morning, I've enjoyed a pot of really strong Indian black tea. The tea leaves are dried into little granules and is very popular in India. It's like the espresso of black tea. It's inexpensive, too. It blows Lipton out of the water. 

Since Mexicans don't drink té, I can't find it in Mexico. Amazon in Mexico doesn't even have it. What am I to do? (Banging on my high chair ensues.)

In Mexico, you just learn to go with the flow. I'd noticed these coffee vendors around town who have old-fashioned grinders with which to freshly-grind your beans. 

Well, that sounds good.  

Need I mention that the coffee is less than a third of the price of the pricey stuff at Starbucks? Also, the coffee is grown nearby. In Mexico. And I get to practice my Spanish with the nicest guy you'd ever want to meet. He and his little truck are always there, ready to purvey the dark black beans to me. 

So, I'm buying something locally grown, supporting a local vendor, and getting a top-quality product, from a really sweet fellow. Isn't that a much more appealing way to get my caffeine beans? 

So, the absence of my Indian té -- "It's a good thing," as Martha would say. 

A really good thing. 

 

My coffee guy

5 comments:

  1. When I was there, the only alternative to coffee was té de manzanilla (chamomile) all up and down Mexico.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. You're right. I've seen that as well. And mostly hibiscus!

      Delete
  2. I love the coffee there!!! And I loved this post!!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you! I love the coffee there, too. I even look forward to going out and buying it!

      Delete
  3. I'd have to bring a crate barrel full of Barry's tea for my visit.

    ReplyDelete