Wednesday, June 30, 2021

The Secret to Weight Loss

For years, I've tried in vain to lose weight. A few pounds might come off on occasion, but would consistently return. Real weight loss was more elusive than a floor attendant at Walgreens.  

I stand 6'2" and my weight has hovered between 225 and 230 lbs for over ten years (188 cm and 102 - 104 kgs.) I just couldn't get below that magic 220 lbs. or 100 kgs. 

I know I should exercise. But the thing about exercise is that it's boring and it hurts. My mom was an athletic coach and I can't tell you how many times I heard, "No pain, no gain," from her.

My philosophy has always been, "No pain? Hey. No pain!" Also, I don't do well with boredom. Nasty things like addiction looms when I'm bored. 

However, I'm so happy to say that one month in Mexico did the trick. How? How??

I lived like a Mexican grandmother. An abuela.

First, there was plenty of un-processed food on hand. The most delicious, freshest fruits and vegetables were available everywhere. There were at least four fruterias within three blocks of my apartment. I could return with a weighty bag of mangoes, pineapples, guavas, avocados, onions, tomatoes, corn, and zucchini for about $3.00. Every other day, I'd go out and come home with another haul. 



Dried beans of every variety were incredibly plentiful and inexpensive. It's no wonder abuelas can't imagine life without frijoles as a nutritional, high fiber protein source. Chilis of every flavor imaginable with which to flavor them were everywhere; an unimaginable palette of flavors: Ancho, guajillo, pasilla, mulato, puya, and smoky chipotles. 

I learned of sprinkling fresh mango with ground chili, salt, and lime juice. I will never eat it any other way. 


There was a tortilleria one block from my apartment. If you've never had fresh, corn tortillas hot off the press, you are truly missing out. At 50 cents a pound (10 pesos per half-kilo), I can see why they are a beloved staple. 


As you can see, there's nary a processed food item in sight. If an abuela tried a chicken nugget, she'd be appalled at how tasteless and salty they were. (And they are.) 

Even though I eat a plant-based diet, I did try a bit of roast chicken from a nearby rosticeria. It was the chickeny-est chicken I'd ever tasted. Also notice how the chicken fat drips down and roasts the potatoes and jalapeños. How clever is that? Flavor! Sabor! So, it's no wonder abuelas would be appalled at a chicken nugget. 


So, I got up off my backside to procure this gorgeous food every day, just like a Mexican grandma would do. 

A typical meal for me would be a small bowl of spicy beans with tortillas for dunking along with sautéed vegetables with a little crema Mexicana (a mild sour cream) added in. I kept fresh fruit on hand at all times for snacks. 

Walking  Yes, walking can be boring but not when you have such a gorgeous place as this. Ajijic sits at an elevation of 5,000 ft., so you're surrounded by cool, dry, mountain air. It just feels good to be out in it. At least once a day, I'd go for a walk along the lakefront. As you can see, it really was a bit of paradise: 




Why in the world would I stay indoors watching cat videos on YouTube when I have this outside?

After one month, I weighed myself and had dropped well below the 220 lb. (100 kg) mark. 

So that's the secret, dear puppies. Eat beans, fruits, vegetables, and walk to get them. Get up off your backside and it won't be as fat. 

Live like a Mexican grandma. 

Live!

5 comments: